If you have a Grade 11 Certificate, National Certificate (Vocational) 3, or Equivalent, this Short Learning Programme will develop your knowledge, theory, and competencies to perform the duties of an executive secretary.
Being an executive secretary is a role of great responsibility and trust. It involves providing high-level administrative support to top executives and leaders within an organisation.
This programme places a strong emphasis on customer service principles. You will learn about general office practices, and build your competence in the duties of an executive secretary, while developing an understanding of the operational environment in which you’ll function.
This Short Learning Programme includes an occupational skills component / Financial Management Institute.
Boston Short Learning Programme
1 Year (full-time)
Grade 11 Certificate; or National Certificate (Vocational) 3; or equivalent qualification OR Learners can apply for RPL entry into the Programme from the Academic Committee at Boston Head Office.
This programme is offered by Boston City Campus in the distance mode of education with support provided at Learner Support Centres. Apply to register at any Boston City Campus Learner Support Centre nationwide.
All modules are compulsory unless otherwise specified and must be passed.
- Introduction to PC*
- Word Processing*
- Word Processing Advanced*
- Presentation Graphics*
- Spreadsheets Advanced*
- Understanding the Internet*
- Reception Skills*
- General Office Practice*
- Principles of Customer Service*
- Audio Typing**
- Typing Skills for the Executive Secretary**
- Typing Speed Development**
- Introduction to Business Accounting (FMI)*** (Optional)
*Formative Assessments are undertaken and the highest grade achieved in Formative Assessment is retained. The final grade is based on the Summative Assessment only. A maximum of one (1) additional supplementary assessment opportunity is provided for the Summative Assessment, which will be charged for.
**Keyboarding and Typing modules require the Learner to achieve a stipulated word-per-minute (wpm) typing speed (as stipulated for each module) and in some instances require an additional Summative Assessment. Word-per-minute targets are practice-led assessment formats whereby the Learner continues until the required wpm speed is maintained. Where an additional Summative Assessment is prescribed, the final grade is based on the Summative Assessment as well as the attainment of the wpm typing speed requirement. A maximum of one (1) additional supplementary assessment opportunity is provided for these Summative Assessments, which will be charged for.
***Formative Assessments are for practice purposes in order to prepare for the Summative Assessment. The final grade is based on the Summative Assessment only. A supplementary Summative Assessment opportunity is available and will be charged for.
Membership and Assessment Fees to FMI will be charged separately.
- Ability to operate effectively in the workplace using a number of Windows-based end-user applications
- Ability to understand the operational environment
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of customer service
- Ability to operate computers in the business environment
- Competence in the duties of an executive secretary
- Thorough knowledge of reception and switchboard duties and responsibilities
- Ability to understand basic principles of bookkeeping
- Ability to operate advanced functions of software packages
BOSTON SHORT LEARNING PROGRAMME
On successful completion the Learner will be issued a Boston Short Learning Programme Executive Secretary.